Talking the Talk
Five ways to make sure what you are saying is truly being heard
Conversations happen every day in the workplace. Yet it’s not uncommon to walk away from a meeting or a casual chat with a coworker wondering what was actually said.
5 Ways to Ensure What's Said Is Understood
1. Don’t procrastinate. Sometimes, a topic arises that you just don’t want to talk about. But the longer you wait to discuss it, the more uncomfortable the conversation will be.
2. Ask for clarification. Don’t be afraid to ask your coworker to repeat what they’ve said or explain it in a different manner.
3. Lend an ear. Listening is the forgotten half of many conversations. Even if the person you are speaking with disagrees with you, don’t silence them.
4. Be empathetic. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes, and think about how they would best receive the message.
5. Clarify your point of view. Don’t make others guess what you are trying to say. Be as specific as possible when describing what you mean.