Toolbox 1 – Developing Leaders in the Workplace | Virtual or In-Class
This course provides an introduction to a steward’s role and responsibilities and explains some basic principles that will assist stewards in their role. It is designed for new stewards. Topics covered include:
- Introduction to being a steward
- Learning what are your responsibilities and helping your members
- Unions in society
- CLAC DNA
- Progressive discipline
- Framing the investigation (pre-grievance work)
We’re Back—in Person!
Beginning April 1, 2022, we will be delivering our Toolbox training the best way we know how—in person. For those stewards living within the Greater Vancouver Region (i.e., North Vancouver, Vancouver, Richmond, Langley, Surrey, Chilliwack, Burnaby, etc.), all courses will be live and hosted at the BC Training Centre in Langley.
Stewards living outside of the Greater Vancouver Region can join our classes remotely via Zoom. You can also contact the training centre to arrange accommodations near the centre.
You will be required to answer these questions after clicking "Request to Register."
- Are you a steward? This course is for stewards. If you are not a steward and are interested in becoming one, please contact your representative.
- Have you signed a membership application card? If no, please sign one on myCLAC.ca or contact your representative.
- Do you have a copy of the collective agreement–either a print copy or pdf? If no, this is available on myCLAC.ca under My Workplace or from your representative. Please have one available for your training date.
- Name and contact information (phone/email) of your employer that
approved your day off work to take this training.
- For those outside the lower
Do you have a laptop, computer, or tablet with WIFI and a webcam so
that you can attend the course remotely? (Note
that you cannot use your phone.)
If no, CLAC Training can send you a tablet and
headphones. Please provide the complete address of where to send these for your
Please answer all questions to ensure your request is taken care of in a timely manner.
Duration: 7 hours