Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) - Basic
MHFA Basic is intended for adults interacting with adults (18 years and older). This 12-hour course focuses on the four most common mental health disorders including substance related, mood related, anxiety and trauma related, and psychotic disorders. Participants who take this 12-hour classroom course are well prepared to interact confidently about mental health with their family, friends, communities, and workplaces.
International evaluations and feedback have found the following outcomes for participants undertaking an MHFA course:
- Increased awareness of signs and symptoms of the most common mental health problems
- Decreased stigma related to mental health
- Increased confidence interacting with individuals experiencing a mental health problem or crisis
- Increased help provided to individuals in crisis or experiencing a mental health problem.
Crisis first aid skills learned:
- Substance overdose
- Suicidal behaviour
- Panic attack
- Acute stress reaction
- Psychotic episode
- Duration: 12 hours (Classroom) - Lunch is provided
- 5 sections
- Class size: 8-25