Healthcare: What you need to know about COVID-19
CLAC recognizes that our healthcare members face challenges that are unique to their workplace or sector during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some useful links and tips for you.
Ongoing CLAC updates
Workplace Safety Guidelines
Resources and Links
If you are laid-off, quarantined, or are unable to work
New Covid Leave of Absence
- Employers must not require medical note (ESA 52.12)
- Employer must continue to provide benefits and contributions while on Covid-19-related leave of absence (ESA 56.2)
- Employers must follow collective agreement provisions for layoff and recall
Contact your CLAC representative if your employer is not following these provisions.
If you are still working
Your employer is responsible for creating a safe work environment. This includes:
- Monitoring the health of their staff
- Creating social distancing for employees, customers and anyone using their facilities
- Cleaning and sanitation of common areas, washrooms etc.
- Equipping employees with needed cleaning/ personal protection items
- Following all requirements from provincial and federal authorities
- Preventing exposure from potentially sick employees
Contact your CLAC representative if your employer is not following the above safety practices.
What should you and your coworkers be doing?
Stay home and self-isolate if you show any symptoms
Practice social distancing
Don't put yourself, your family or others at increased risk or exposure