André van Heerden
- Founded in 1952
- Largest independent, multisector, national union in Canada with over 60,000 members working in a wide range of sectors—construction, education, emergency services, healthcare, retail, service, transportation, manufacturing, and more
- 14 member centres located in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and BC
- 25 active, independent, affiliated locals
- Over 600 current collective agreements successfully negotiated, and over 6,300 since 1952
- Over 2,400 bargaining unit certificates granted by provincial and federal labour boards
- Part of the international labour movement as an affiliated member of the World Organization of Workers.
Construction and mining (Local 6, 52, 53, 63, 68, 150, 151, 152)
Education (Local 62, 306, 602)
Emergency services (Local 911, 920)
Entertainment and hospitality (Local 301, 501)
Healthcare and social services (Local 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 501)
Manufacturing (Local 56, 501, 519)
Retail (Local 301, 306)
Security (Local 503)
Transportation and warehousing (Local 56, 66, 402)
Our Government Relations
- We work with governments of all stripes, but we are nonpartisan.
- We do not support any political parties or candidates.
- We do not tell our members how to vote.
- We do meet regularly with government officials to discuss labour and economic matters, and contribute submissions on pending legislation affecting workers. We also attend some political functions to advocate for our members.
- CLAC is independent of the Canadian Labour Congress. We provide a different union perspective on the issues that matter to workers.
Our News and Views
Visit Your Voice for the latest news, stories, and blogs from CLAC.