Summer Representative Intern - Fort McMurray
CLAC has a summer position available in our Fort McMurray Member Centre for a university-level student who has completed his or her third year of undergrad studies, is returning to full-time studies and has an interest in labour relations.
Job duties will be varied, with a focus on labour relations work in the construction and maintenance sectors, and may include:
- Supporting union representatives in negotiations, conflict resolution, labour-management meetings and organizing;
- Visiting CLAC members at their workplaces, answering questions, and providing assistance;
- Special projects (e.g., research, writing);
- Legal research and preparation work for Labour Relations Board (LRB) cases and rights arbitrations;
- Social media administration;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- University student who has completed third year of studies
- Demonstrated relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Positive Attitude
- Demonstrable organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to prioritize and work independently
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and SharePoint
- Knowledge of provincial and federal labour codes and human rights legislation would be considered an asset
Term and Compensation:
This is a contract position, with a 4-month duration beginning May and ending August (start date, end date and vacation leave are flexible). The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with some weekend or evening work required. The rate of pay is $22.42 per hour. The candidate must have access to a reliable automobile. Mileage is paid and expenses are reimbursed.
Long Term Opportunity:
Internships are part of CLAC’s long-term recruiting strategy. Due to growth, CLAC regularly has openings for representatives in its offices across Canada. A successful intern opportunity may lead to an interview for future full-time employment with CLAC following completion of studies.
Applicants should provide a cover letter and resume to Jay Bueckert, Regional Director, email@example.com on or before March 1, 2024, and indicate in your application where you came across the position.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2024
Approximate Start Date: May 2024
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
CLAC offers a competitive wage and excellent benefit package, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic, rewarding, and challenging workplace community.
CLAC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any stage of the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs.