Field Representative - Winnipeg
We are currently accepting resumes for a permanent, full-time Field Representative position.
The Winnipeg Member Centre is seeking a proficient and highly skilled Field Representative. The successful candidate’s core functions will support advocacy for CLAC members, undertake labour relations representation and increase the impact of CLAC’s perspective on labour relations within various sectors, including the construction sector.
- Field Representatives possess a high level of experience in the industry in which they are expected to represent CLAC members.
- Field Representatives are expected to perform their duties in consultation with Provincial Representatives as part of a team.Bargaining unit files are the responsibility of Provincial Representatives.Field Representatives will perform many of the representation functions, dependent on Provincial Representative direction.The complexity of the bargaining unit and/or the situation will determine the degree of involvement in the Field Representative’s duties by the Provincial Representative.In all cases, collective bargaining is conducted by, or under the direction of, Provincial Representatives.
- Ensure that workplaces are visited regularly, optimizing member contact.Co-ordination and scheduling to affect this is the Field Representative responsibility.
- Attend and lead Union-Management and stewards meetings to attempt to resolve issues raised by the membership or by an employer.Where the situation permits, Field Representatives will lead these meetings under the responsibility of a Provincial Representative, who may elect to attend, or not, as dictated by the circumstances.
- Lead members in solving real and anticipated workplace problems and conflicts and promoting worker participation in the enterprise.
- Attend membership meetings.Leading these meetings may be assigned by a Provincial Representative, who may elect to attend, or not, as dictated by the circumstances.
- Lead, along with Union Stewards, grievance meetings and ensure investigations and disciplinary processes are followed.
- Fully participate in Regional staff meetings and attend at Provincial staff meetings as requested.
- Communicate with the Bargaining Unit about the day-to-day practical issues related to the workplace and the collective agreement.
- Report regularly to the Provincial Representatives, including the Regional Director.
- Knowledge of employment statutes and basic labour relations.
- Organize groups of workers by introducing CLAC or one of its affiliated Locals to prospective members and signing them up as members.
- Administrative functions such as paperwork, reports, minutes, and correspondence required in documenting and confirming relations with members, employers, authorities and others. Computer proficiency and good communication skills, spoken and written, is required.
- Serve as liaison between members and CLAC’s ancillary services (e.g. Pension and Benefit Plans, vacation pay, Advantage Program, etc.).A good knowledge of the services offered by these departments is expected.
- Other tasks as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Post-secondary education.
- Self-starting and self-motivated. Must be able to recognize what needs to be done without being told.
- Ability and desire to interface with people in a variety of situations and relationships.
- Ability to resolve problems, proactively wherever possible. Field Representatives must seek quick, effective and creative resolutions.
- Has the ability to articulate a Christian worldview that is congruent with the values and principles of CLAC.
- Firm belief that CLAC’s policies are best for providing trade union representation for workers.
- Working towards CHRP/CHRL/CPHR designation is considered an asset.
- The position involves travel primarily within Ontario.
Reporting and Accountability:
This position reports directly to Geoff Dueck Thiessen, Winnipeg Regional Director.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Geoff Dueck Thiessen, Regional Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in your application where you came across the position.
Application Deadline: July 29, 2022
Approximate Start Date: August 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
CLAC offers a competitive wage and excellent benefit package, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic, rewarding, and challenging workplace community.
CLAC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any stage of the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs.